“Everybody on sports talk radio feels the same type of way about a certain subject. They don’t look at it from an athlete’s perspective.” – Doug Stewart
You don’t throw around the term ‘pioneer’ very often as it pertains to talk radio.
Howard Stern? Of course. Rush Limbaugh? Maybe. But Doug Stewart (with his brother Ryan) arguably pioneered the ‘urban’ sports talk format back in the 1990’s.
And he’s still doing his thing today both on terrestrial radio and with his online show.
Learn about the rise and struggle of the ‘2 Live Stews’ and Doug’s personal journey in the broadcasting industry in this edition of the “Podcast About Sports Radio”.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE
- How he first started listening to sports radio and what drew him in
- What he was doing professionally before pursuing sports radio work
- The way he and Ryan gained the attention of 790 The Zone in Atlanta
- Advice he passes along to others on how to get into the industry
- How he’d describe ‘The 2 Live Stews’ to those who are unfamiliar
- When he realized he could make a living by discussing his passion
- Getting the call from ESPN to contribute on ‘Cold Pizza’ and ‘First Take’
- Reflecting on his biggest highs and lows of his broadcasting career
- Why he believes The 2 Live Stews haven’t been given another shot
- The personalities in the format who he thinks do great work
- Broadcasting qualities which he gets turn him off by
- Doing some recent work for Fox Sports in Los Angeles
- Who the craziest guy in his Barbershop was & why he was so unique
FROM THE GUEST
- Doug’s Twitter handle: @Doug2LiveStews
The Podcast About Sports Radio is proud to partner with Barrett Sports Media, home of the sports radio industry’s premier website barrettsportsmedia.com. For the latest sports radio news around the country, as well as insights, and opinions from Jason Barrett and some of the brightest minds in the sports radio industry, visit barrettsportsmedia.com.
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.
Producers Podcast: Anthony Pagnotta, WFNZ
WFNZ listeners better know Anthony Pagnotta as Flounder. He explains how he got the name and why it is good to be the butt of the jokes sometimes.
Brady Farkas is a sports radio professional with 5+ years of experience as a Program Director, On-Air Personality, Assistant Program Director and Producer in Burlington, VT and Albany, NY. He’s well versed in content creation, developing ideas to generate ratings and revenue, working in a team environment, and improving and growing digital content thru the use of social media, audio/video, and station websites. His primary goal is to host a daily sports talk program for a company/station that is dedicated to serving sports fans. You can find him on Twitter @WDEVRadioBrady and reach him by email at email@example.com.