As the BSM Podcast enters double digits, Jason Barrett ponders if the Embrace Debate mantra is as troubling as many claim it is. Jason explains how many people are tuning in for opinion driven programs and why much of the negativity stems from fake social media outrage, piling on and limited exposure to the content. He also shares why a lack of interest in these shows should have little to zero impact on watching other programs on the same networks.
For this week’s sports media conversation, we connect with SB Nation Radio/ESPN Houston host Sean Salisbury. Sean drops in to explain the challenge of transitioning from the field to broadcasting, reaching the highest of highs and the lowest of lows during his twelve year run with ESPN, earning a new lease on life in the media business in Houston, what fans can expect from his new TV simulcast on beIN Sports, political talk in sports, the media’s role in Terrell Owens’ HOF snub, and the challenges facing Tony Romo.
TOPICS COVERED WITH SEAN SALISBURY
- The start of his broadcasting career and how it happened
- What he cherishes and appreciates the most from his 12-year run at ESPN
- Explaining what Tony Romo is up against at CBS and how to overcome it
- The media’s role and influence on Terrell Owens being left out of the H.O.F.
- How low he got after losing his opportunity at ESPN and how he overcame it
- Landing in Houston as a host for SB Nation Radio and ESPN Houston 97.5
- Why he chose to stay in Houston when an opportunity came up in San Francisco
- How he prepares and stays involved working with two different show units
- A description of his radio program and what is involved with the TV simulcast
- Weaving in political conversation and when it does/doesn’t make sense on a show
- Quick Hits – The Benchwarmers, on-air with John Clayton, state of ESPN, player advice
FROM THE GUEST
Sean’s’ Twitter handle: @SeanUnfiltered
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Seller to Seller: Adam Shifrin, Westwood One
Jeff Caves is a sales columnist for BSM working in radio, digital, hyper-local magazine, and sports sponsorship sales in DFW. He is credited with helping launch, build, and develop SPORTS RADIO The Ticket in Boise, Idaho, into the market’s top sports radio station. During his 26 year stay at KTIK, Caves hosted drive time, programmed the station, and excelled as a top seller. You can reach him by email at email@example.com or find him on Twitter @jeffcaves.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.