KMBC-TV and KCWE-TV in Kansas City, Missouri, announced that they are saying goodbye to its president and general manager, Sarah Smith; she will be retiring after a decade run with the two stations.
Smith’s career spans nearly four decades, making stops at various stations such as president and general manager at KETV, the company’s Omaha ABC affiliate.
“I’ve been blessed to work with so many great people,” Smith said in a statement. “Their creativity and commitment have been crucial to the ongoing success of KMBC/KCWE, as well as KETV, and I have had the wonderful support of the nurturing culture of Hearst Television.”
During her tenure, KMBC received recognition for six straight years as the top television newsgroup in the Kansas and Missouri market by the Radio Television Digital News Association.
Furthermore, their news coverages earned three regional Edward R. Murrow awards, including the Overall Excellence Award and Best Newscast.
“Throughout her impressive career, Sarah has tirelessly advocated for the power of local television in our communities,” Hearst Television President Jordan Wertlieb said in a statement.
“She did an outstanding job leading and growing three important properties, including two of the highest-rated ABC affiliates in the country. She has been an important voice in our company and leaves a tremendous legacy that will continue to be felt in the years ahead. We wish her great success in her well-deserved next chapter.”
The stations don’t have an immediate replacement to take for Smith as the announcement of an eventual successor will be shared at a later date.
Eduardo Razo is the Assistant Content Editor for BNM, which includes writing daily news stories on the news media industry. He can be found on Twitter @eddierazo_ or you can reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The View Officially Names Alyssa Farah Griffin, Ana Navarro Co-Hosts
Both Navarro and Griffin have been outspoken critics of former President Donald Trump.
As expected, Alyssa Farah Griffin and Ana Navarro were officially announced Thursday as permanent co-hosts of The View. Both Griffin and Navarro are CNN political commentators, a role the network says they will continue in addition to their new roles with the ABC show.
Whoopi Goldberg made the announcement during Thursday’s show. Griffin later tweeted “humbled and honored” to join the show.
Navarro simply tweeted “See you at the table in September for Season 26!”
Both Navarro and Griffin have been outspoken critics of former President Donald Trump. Griffin worked for the 45th President as the White House Communications Director until December of 2020. Navarro, a Republican strategist and commentator, has been a contributor to The View for nearly three years and has often spoken out against Trump as recently as Wednesday compared Trump’s presidency as a disaster that compared to the sinking of the Titanic, The Challenger explosion, the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
The View had been in search of a permanent conservative voice since Meghan McCain departed.
Former TV Executive John Severino Dies At 85
He served as the Vice President and General Manager of WLS-TV in Chicago, as well as with ABC in Los Angeles and New York.
Former television news executive John Severino has died. He was 85.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Severino died at his home in Los Angeles Wednesday.
Credited with creating the “Eyewitness News” format, he served as the Vice President and General Manager of WLS-TV in Chicago, as well as with ABC in Los Angeles and New York.
Later, he was the President of the television station division of CBS, where he had oversight of each of the network’s owned and operated stations.
He also worked with Prime Ticket — the cable outlet created by Lakers owner Jerry Buss in the mid-1980s — which aired Los Angeles Lakers and Kings games.
He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Sally, his sons Mark and David, eight grandchildren, and brother Larry.
Eric Bolling: Fox News Turned Their Back on Donald Trump
Bolling raised the possibility on his show that Fox News has turned its back on former President Donald Trump.
Even though the 2024 U.S. Presidential Election is more than two years away, some cable news channels seem to align themselves with their favorite candidate.
On Tuesday, Newsmax TV host Eric Bolling raised the possibility that Fox News has turned its back on former President Donald Trump. His statement came after a picture surfaced showing FNC host Tucker Carlson enjoying a laugh with Trump at his golf course in New Jersey.
“The Balance” host asked his viewers to caption the photo while surmising what Trump and Carlson were laughing over.
“We’ve all seen the trend,” Bolling stated. “Remember that highly produced Fox News package clearly showing only pro-Ron DeSantis supporters while highlighting anti-Trumpers?”
Bolling suggested “something” is going on at Fox News and said that the anti-Trump sentiment is easy to detect.
“In other words, folks, things are not always what they seem to be.”
Ryan Hedrick serves as the Assistant Program Director and Co-Host of the Morning News Express at WFMD. Prior to WFMD, he hosted an afternoon program at News Talk 103.7 FM in Chambersburg, PA. He has worked at Sirius XM in Washington D.C., WBEN in Buffalo, NY, and for stations in Baltimore, MD. He has also worked at WIBW-AM in Topeka KS, earning the Kansas Association of Broadcasters (KAB) award for Major Market enterprise reporting in 2016. To connect with Ryan, find him on Twitter @SureToCover.