The Red Sox honored the late great Jerry Remy with a touching tribute Wednesday night at Fenway Park. Despite the club remembering Remy, who died in October of last year, a lot of fans were wondering why his longtime play-by-play partner at NESN, Don Orsillo, wasn’t in attendance.
After the Sox 6-1 loss to the Blue Jays, Orsillo, who is now working for the San Diego Padres, sent a message on Twitter claiming that franchise had offered him the opportunity to do a video message for Remy before being notified by the club and NESN that his video would not be needed anymore. He also attached a copy of a script that he planned to used.
Many folks in the media were trying to make sense of why the Red Sox excluded their former broadcaster, including Merloni and Fauria of WEEI who claim that it may have been a miscommunication between the two parties rather than the franchise not wanting Orsillo to have any part of the ceremony.
“It’s almost like the Red Sox did this on purpose because they don’t like Don Orsillo and it really wasn’t done that way at all. I think both sides made a mistake,” Lou Merloni said on-air Thursday. “I think the people that put the event together spent so much time, they were so close to the event itself and they felt like they had it nailed, this is what we’re doing. Then it was like, what about the video and they’re like hey, we aren’t doing those videos. They should’ve sent it and put it up in the second inning.”
While Merloni believes both parties are at fault, he wondered why Orsillo, despite his duties covering the Padres, wouldn’t just take a night off and come to Fenway to honor his friend while also taking issue with Orsillo turning Remy’s night into why he wasn’t in Boston.
“I do wonder, the Padres didn’t play today and I don’t know what Donny O has going on but I was surprised he didn’t take a night off and come to Fenway,” Merloni said. “I love Donny O but he should’ve done what he did last night. Now we are talking about Don Orsillo being snubbed and we are not talking about the event you had for a guy everybody absolutely loves in Jerry Remy. He should’ve sent a statement, he should’ve sent the video, he should’ve maybe came out on Monday and talked about being snubbed. I understand he’s not happy, but he should’ve waited.”
While some fans came to Orsillo’s defense, including former NESN sideline report Hedi Watney, others like current ACC Network director/producer and former NESN producer Russ Keen made it exactly known how he feels about Orsillo’s tweet.
Pam Keen, the club’s vice president of community, alumni and player relations explained the situation in a lengthy tweet, alleging the the franchise had no intent on leaving their former play-by-play man out of the ceremonies.
“Unfortunately, he didn’t come,” Kenn wrote. “As the ceremony was coming together and the pieces were falling into place, we thought video messages might not fit. In retrospect, maybe we should have had him record something to see where it could fall. As time ran out, we did not ask him for a video, and he didn’t record or send one. There was never any intent to leave him out of our tribute.”
After the event, the Sox went into a bit of damage control and had team president Sam Kennedy on The Greg Hill Show to explain the situation.
“At one point, there was discussion early on in the planning about doing some video tributes from people, but as we got into the planning, we pivoted to one all-encompassing — it was pretty moving and emotional video tribute that included his former colleagues and teammates, including Don, of course, and others,” Kennedy said, per WEEI.com. “I thought it was a really well-done video. In person, we had Tom Caron do the MC’ing, he did a great job, and Bob Stanley and Sean McDonough were able to be there in person, and they spoke live and did a great job, and represented the feelings I think we all had and have about Jerry.”
Remy died on Oct. 30, 2021, after a long battle with lung cancer. He was 68.
Dodgers Temporarily Pull Broadcasters Off Road
“If the broadcasters’ are not dealing with severe cases of Covid and they have cleared health and safety protocols, it appears the team is open to sending them back out on the road.”
When the Los Angeles Dodgers visit the East Coast later this week, the men that call the action on TV and radio will not be with them. The games will instead be broadcast on AM570 LA Sports and SportsNet LA from their respective studios.
“Due to a few members of the Dodgers’ broadcast team having recently tested positive for COVID-19, and out of an abundance of caution, the Dodgers have decided to not travel their broadcasters to upcoming games in Philadelphia and Washington,” the Dodgers announced in a statement. Similar to the 2020 and 2021 MLB seasons, the games will be broadcast from Los Angeles,” reads a statement on the team’s Twitter account.
No further details are available, so the severity and the number of cases remain unknown.
Last September, both members of the Dodgers’ television play-by-play crew were forced into quarantine. Joe Davis was the first to test positive, followed later that month by Orel Hershiser.
On Wednesday, manager Dave Roberts told the media that the Dodgers’ roster and coaching staff are not effected.
“There’s there’s no symptoms in the clubhouse. I think that as far as the upstairs, as an organization, we’re all just trying to be very cautious. But as far as in the clubhouse, coaches, training staff, nothing like that.”
If the broadcasters’ are not dealing with severe cases of Covid and they have cleared health and safety protocols, it appears the team is open to sending them back out on the road. 2022 was supposed to be a return to normal for the Dodgers and many other teams after not letting broadcasters travel in 2020 and 2021.
Pat McAfee: ‘No One Will Disrespect Jim Rome On My Show’
“That’s because you need to respect the f–king jungle.”
Jim Rome is a sports radio icon and Pat McAfee recognizes that.
On The Pat McAfee Show on Wednesday, McAfee was talking to co-host A.J. Hawk about how Rome trended recently on Twitter.
This happened after news of Tom Brady’s FOX Sports deal surfaced, and a list of the top paid sports media personalities was compiled. Rome came in behind Brady at number two making a reported $30 million a year, and many were surprised by that number. McAfee wasn’t.
“That’s because you need to respect the f–king jungle,” he said. “I have nothing but respect for Jim Rome.”
McAfee gave props to Rome, 57, saying he’s been doing sports talk probably longer than anyone. He’s one of the most widely distributed hosts in the country. Pat said he won’t tolerate anyone talking smack about the Smack-Off King.
“No disrespect will be said on this show of Jim Rome, ever,” he said. “Love that man.”
DeAngelo Hall Explains His Exit From Commanders Radio Booth
“I’m a fan first and it made it hard sometimes to go to work because my vision of what I thought it should be wasn’t ultimately what the decision-makers wanted to do.”
In a case of “you never know who’s listening”, 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C. got a surprise on Wednesday. Former NFL pro-bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall texted Brian Mitchell of BMitch & Finlay that he was listening and wanted to join the program.
After discussing some opinions of the Commanders and other rivals on the field, Hall made a point to address leaving the team’s radio booth as a color analyst. In April it was announced that Hall would exit the broadcast booth. At the time it was reported that the decision was Hall’s. On BMitch & Finlay he added more context by explaining that, “it just felt like it wasn’t the right situation for myself.”
Hall went further by adding that a deciding factor for his decision seemed to be the team’s vision for the broadcast.
“I need to see it. I’m a fan first and it made it hard sometimes to go to work because my vision of what I thought it should be wasn’t ultimately what the decision-makers wanted to do. And you know how I am guys, I speak my mind and I just asked to go my separate way. I still love the organization, I’m still rooting for them.”
The former Washington player joined Bram Weinstein and analyst Julie Donaldson when the Washington Commanders overhauled their entire broadcast crew after an organization-wide sexual harassment scandal mentioned former play-by-play voice Larry Michael.
Hall was sure to praise his former teammate taking his role. “But so hyped for London Fletcher. I told Julie and Fletch at separate times man, that Fletch was such a great teammate and an inspirational person in my life and my process of growing as a pro and as a man, that taught me so much about the game. I couldn’t be happier that she gets a hell of a replacement in London Fletcher.
“I’m hyped for those guys but I’m too pretty to be on the radio, guys, I need more face time,” Hall quipped. “I’m fighting to get in one of them booths. When you see Tom Brady making 10-for-375 I said ‘I’m in the wrong business.’ When you’re watching Tony and them guys I’m in the wrong business. I got to get off this radio and get my face in front of the tizzube.”