Connect with us
blank

News Television

Melissa Francis Details Fox News Exit to Megyn Kelly

Avatar photo

Published

on

blank

Former Fox News and Fox Business host Melissa Francis says she was fired seconds before she was supposed to go on the air. Francis appeared Friday with her attorney on The Megyn Kelly Show to talk about her 2020 departure from Fox. Francis, who joined Fox Business in 2012 and later became a host on Fox News, said she brought up the issue of pay disparity with the then-general counsel at Fox, Dianne Brandi.

“You have to understand that at the time there were two screeners from the Screen Actors Guild – Bombshell and The Loudest Voice – and they had actors playing Dianne Brandi behaving illegally towards women in the Roger Ailes situation,” said Francis.

“At the time I assumed she no longer worked at the company,” Francis continued. “When I said I wanted to do my own negotiation, [Fox] sent me an e-mail back saying ‘you’ll be meeting one-on-one with Dianne Brandi. I was shocked because I thought ‘wow, you’re gonna put her in a room alone with a woman to negotiate. I wasn’t even aware she was still here.’ We ended up having a voice conversation. I had actually scripted out exactly I wanted to say because my math and my points – I felt like I wanted to be crystal clear. I didn’t want to misspeak any portion of it at all.”

“We started to small talk. She’s very nice. ‘How are your kids? What’s going on?’  Then she segued right into ‘Are you going to hand this off to somebody else? It’s not common for talent to do this for themselves,’” Francis recalled in the conversation with Brandi. “I said look, there’s this disparity and basically I laid it out. [Dianne] said ‘whoa, I’m gonna stop you there. This is not the way you want to do this. You do not want to compare yourself to other people.’

“I said ‘no, I’m not comparing myself to other people.’ I’m saying that I’ve collected all this data —  basically how I just explained to you – I went through how I did all the comparisons I came up with and finally she broke in and said, and I wrote down verbatim, ‘that’s how the world works. Women make less than men. That’s just a fact.”

Months after her firing, Francis sued Fox for pay discrimination. It was settled in June. Fox paid Francis $15 million.

Earlier this summer, a Fox News spokesperson said “We parted ways with Melissa Francis over a year and a half ago and her allegations were entirely without merit. We have also fully cooperated with the New York State Department of Labor’s investigation and look forward to the completion of this matter.”

Before asking Francis about the details behind her negotiations, Kelly brought up her final dealings with the company before turning down a lucrative offer to join NBC.

“I will say of my own personal experience was that they were always very generous,” Kelly said. “And this is during the Roger era. And my final contract was offered to me by the Murdoch’s, not Roger, but it was always very generous. And I actually know for a fact that I was making more than most of my male colleagues, and that my last contract that was offered to me was definitely bigger even than O’Reilly’s, because as soon as I left, he went and begged them for it, and they gave it to him and he wouldn’t last much longer. But in my experience with them was my being a woman was in no way an impediment to them paying me very, very well.”

“It does seem impossible that a lawyer would say such a reckless thing,” Kelly responded before quoting a statement from a Fox News spokesperson. “Melissa Francis’ version of that conversation is untrue and patently absurd.”

“It is absurd,” Francis said. “I agree with that. It is totally absurd that she would say something like that. I 100% with the fact that it was absurd, and that’s how I felt at the time.”

Later, Francis said she learned of her dismissal from Fox during the pandemic when she was prepared to go on the air from her studio at home.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. blank

    Dale Moog

    September 26, 2022 at 3:37 am

    they canceled her show 30 before air. That is so petty

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News Television

CNN Sees Another Exit as Rachel Crane Leaves Correspondent Role

Crane announced on Twitter Thursday that she would be leaving her position as the innovation and space correspondent.

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

blank

CNN is seeing another departure from the network as Rachel Crane announced on Twitter Thursday that she would be leaving her position as the innovation and space correspondent. 

Crane joined CNN in April 2014 as a digital correspondent covering pop culture and innovation across the network’s platforms, but after nearly a decade with the cable news channel, she’s ready for a new venture. 

“Some personal news: my career at CNN has been filled w too many pinch-me moments to count & certainly more rocket launches than I could have ever dreamed but I realized it was time to let my dreams and priorities evolve and change and step away from CNN & tomorrow is my last day,” Crane tweeted.

“Too many people to thank & choosing a favorite story is simply impossible but I came across this video and it perfectly encapsulates everything I loved about this job. CNN let me be my dorky enthusiastic self, and I got to be on the frontlines of space history all the damn time.”

Before joining CNN, she was a tech and innovation reporter at Bloomberg, acting as host and producer of Bloomberg Brink. 

Furthermore, Crane stated that she would take some time off rather than jump into a new role with a new company immediately. 

Continue Reading

News Television

CNN’s Spanish Network Taken Off the Air in Nicaragua

CNN’s Spanish language network is no longer on the air in Nicaragua. From Wednesday to Thursday, CNN en Español wasn’t available for viewers in the country.

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

blank

CNN’s Spanish language network is no longer on the air in Nicaragua. From Wednesday to Thursday, CNN en Español wasn’t available for viewers in the Central American country. 

The network stated that it was not known to them why CNN is no longer available in Nicaragua, nor have they received a response from the government.

“Today the government of Nicaragua pulled our television signal, denying Nicaraguans news and information from our television network, which they have relied upon for 25 years,” CNN said in a statement. 

“CNN stands by our network’s reporting and our commitment to truth and transparency. At CNN en Español we believe in the vital role that freedom of the press plays in a healthy democracy.”

Before going off the air in Nicaragua, CNN’s Spanish network had been one of the last cable news channels critical of President Daniel Ortega. Additionally, it spotlighted examples of repression by the Ortega government.

“Taking CNNE’s signal off the air is a sign of fear, clumsiness, and arrogance,” tweeted Arturo McFields, Nicaragua’s former ambassador to the Organization of American States.

“They want to have a society of sheep that would only listen to and obey the official narrative.”

Continue Reading

News Television

Keith Olbermann: CNN Is Trying to Smear Me

Olbermann took to Twitter on Friday, stating that CNN is trying to smear him and make him look like a hypocrite for wanting to work for the network.

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

blank

Since debuting his “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” podcast on iHeartMedia, the former MSNBC host has consistently criticized CNN and its CEO, Chris Licht.

Olbermann most recently criticized Licht for his primetime shuffle, which saw Jake Tapper secure the 9 p.m. time slot. The political commentator took to Twitter on Friday, stating that CNN is trying to smear him and make him look like a hypocrite for wanting to work for the network.

However, the podcaster set the record straight after being tipped to comment on a story that Radar Online published, stating that “[Olbermann] had attempted to get a meeting with Licht to talk about joining the network as a contributor and was turned down.”

“… In March my old Countdown Executive Producer, now of CNN, suggested I reach out to Ken Jautz, then one of CNN’s interim leaders, about the opening created when they offed Cuomo,” Olbermann tweeted. “As the Podcast confirms, this was when I began to look for a new venue. 

“No idea if Radar’s “source” has anything other than some vague desire to make me look hypocritical or whatever … Also I told them why I would/would’ve worked for CNN even with Licht there: The democracy is imperiled. I’d work with anyone to save it.” 

No doubt, Olbermann will continue his criticism of CNN regardless of this story, whether on Twitter or on his podcast. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement blank
Advertisement blank

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.